Spring was in the air.
Then it get snorted up the nostrils of winter and shot back out as a pile of slush.
We’re in the middle of a crazy snow blizzard when just yesterday I took out the garbage with neither a coat nor a shiver. You have some nerve, Chicago. Some nerve.
Due to this flip flop, my mind got whiplash daydreaming of strawberry pies and cherry turnovers only to recoil sharply back to the gooey, warm temptations that winter induces.
So, I marched back to the kitchen to get to work on these ridiculous morsels of heaven.
Hot out of the oven, these devilish powerhouses deliver a gooey, melty center with an almost crispy, chewy edge. Cooled to perfection and you can expect the chewiness to double with a now soft, fudge-like center.
A flourless, butterless cookie that tastes like a brownie? I constantly try to create brownies that taste this good but alas, my long sought after flavor has been sent to me in cookie form. Brownie reincarnated. Better having landed in a cookie than a grasshopper…ew. (although I’m not going to lie, I’d be shoveling grasshoppers in my mouth by the fistful if this was the case. Don’t judge me.)
These chewy and gooey bites of dark chocolate molten are sinfully rich. Their powdered sugar camo markings tell you they mean business. No sissy, baby cocoa flavors here- only the swift left hook of a powerful chocolate master.
Come young grasshopper. Let me show you the way:
Melt the secret ingredient. Ok, not such a big secret.
Roll the dark in some light.
Make a chewy choo choo.
The student has become the master.
Double Chocolate Chewies
A chocolate-lover’s fantasy, these light rounds of wonder pack a powerful punch of cocoa. With a chewy and almost crispy exterior, they protect their inner core of gooey chocolate lava with a vengeance. Reminiscent of a brownie, but in cookie form, this treat is sure to satisfy the most monstrous of cocoa urges.
Recipe from Epicurious
- 1 1/2 C bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 2 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt 1 C of the chocolate chips in the microwave, stopping to stir the chips every 15 seconds so as not to burn the delicate chocolate. Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Then add 1 C powdered sugar and continue to beat until very white and resembling marshmallow cream.
- Separately, whisk together 1 C powdered sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt. With mixer on a low speed, mix the dry ingredients into the egg mixture. Stop to add melted chocolate and remaining chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
- Scoop batter into balls about 1 T in size and roll generously into a pile of remaining powdered sugar. Place a batch onto a prepared sheet and bake in oven 10 min or until they begin to crack on top.
- Allow cookies to cool briefly on sheets before attempting to transfer them to a cooling rack. Once cool- or still warm, dive in and enjoy!